“Democrats believe that climate change poses a real and urgent threat to our economy, our national security, and our children’s health and futures, and that Americans deserve the jobs and security that come from becoming the clean energy superpower of the 21st century.”
-Democratic Party Platform
Democrats are committed to curbing the effects of climate change, protecting America’s natural resources, and ensuring the quality of our air, water, and land for current and future generations. From investing in clean energy to protecting our ecosystems, Democrats are working to address our biggest environmental challenges, paving the way to a more sustainable America.
Here’s what Democrats and President Obama have done:
- Under the Obama administration, the Department of Transportation and the EPA issued new fuel-economy standards, the first meaningful increases in fuel economy for cars and light trucks in decades.
- We’ve increased our use of solar energy twentyfold since President Obama took office, and tripled our electricity produced by wind power.
- In June 2013, President Obama laid out a Climate Action Plan to reduce the harmful effects of climate change.
- President Obama instructed the Environmental Protection Agency to take steps to regulate carbon dioxide emissions from coal-fired power plants, which are the largest concentrated source of emissions in the United States. These proposed steps will reduce carbon pollution 30% from 2005 levels by 2030.
- And in November of 2014, the President announced a landmark agreement with China to work together to reduce carbon pollution in the next 15 years.
Democrats want to protect and build on President Obama’s progress. They know that climate change is one of our nation’s greatest challenges, and that addressing this urgent threat could make America the world’s clean energy superpower and create millions of good-paying jobs. Democrats will fight to protect the Paris Agreement to protect our planet for future generations.
Donald Trump, on the other hand, has called climate change “a hoax invented by the Chinese,” a belief that not only flies in the face of scientific evidence, but threatens the long-term health and safety of our country.
It will take all of us acting together — workers and entrepreneurs, scientists and citizens, the public and the private sector — to address the challenge of climate change and seize our clean-energy future.